Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pastor Finch

There is so much to say about this man, Pastor Dennis Finch. I found out recently that Pastor Finch had passed away Friday night July 18th. I was saddened to hear that he had passed away but at the same time was excited for him because I knew where he was going, home. I remember the first time I met Pastor Finch, it was as though he was on a track that he could not get off and the track led straight to me.

With a big smile on his face and a hand out stretched he said, "Hello young man, I am Dennis. What is your name?"

I replied with a quiet voice, "Jon."

With a response that startled me he said, "Jon nice to meet you. You know you remind me of myself when I was your age."

And just like that Pastor Finch was etched in my memory forever. The reason he would remain in my memory forever was simply because in a time of my life were I was down and depressed, dressed as a punk skater with black hair, that didn't care about anything, this man, Dennis came up to me and smiled.

Recently I have thought about how many people he has impacted with that smile he has, it was contagious! Pastor Finch's smile was a gift from God, there is no other way to describe it. So here is to a man who on this earth did a lot of things and truly left it better than it was before!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jon,I was Googling as I wanted to see if there was an obituary on Uncle Dennis....yes, he is my Uncle (my dad's older brother). He did have a contagious smile...so does my dad--must run in the family.

I don't know if the family has seen your comments, but will pass this sight on so they can read what you have written. Wonder how many more lives he touched!

Marcia

Anonymous said...

Uncle Dennis loved the Lord. He loved humanity because Christ loved humanity. It is encouraging to know we can have a positive affect on others even with a smile. Doesn't seem like much but we can determine in our hearts to touch others the way Christ would or hurt others by our words, deeds and actions. We need to be so careful and your blog about Uncle Dennis proves it. Thanks for telling about your experience. It gives me hope.

Jeanette said...

i was going to write a post about him too but i'll just comment on your page instead. i agree fully, the world was a much better place because God introduced Dennis Finch to it. his wife mary was actually in the delivery room when i was born. no other people i know, literally, besides her and Dennis, were around then. they met me before my parents did and to me they will always hold a special place in my heart. i was always Miss Taylor to him. because i was a lady and he addressed ladies like that he said. his smile and hugs lightened my mood everytime i saw him! he was a phenominal man of God and someone i loved.